Saturday, November 28, 2009

Six Quick Picks, Vol. II


Today I present, in no particular order, the second installment of "Six Quick Picks," a smattering of items on the Interwebs that caught my eye this week:

1. Have you met the Kitchen Witch?  In her trademark sweet and spicy way, she honored Anissa and celebrated her own blessings in a lovely post last weekend.  My only complaint about TKW's blog is the same one I have about Top Chef: I can never get a big enough bite of her creations through my computer screen - although I've tried (feel free to test for DNA evidence in my saliva smudges).

2. Heather helped kick off my week with a bit of pure poetry.  Don't miss "Dip," her lyrical manifesto to living in the moment.  Here's a taste: "Grace and consideration, in the dance. Like life. Fumbly and good. Either way, we keep dancing, or the music means nothing." Fumbly and good, indeed.

3. I have been lucky during my short stay in the blogosphere to find a number of writers who seem to have their fingers directly on my pulse; their posts routinely explore my own areas of interest (or anxiety) and their perspectives help me understand my own in a more nuanced way.  One of those writers is Becca.  This week she tackled an issue that is very much on my mind: connectedness - connecting online, connecting offline, and how to reconcile the two.  Connect with Becca here.

4. For many of us, among the most crystalline moments in our memories are those that took place during and immediately after the births of our children.  The sensory memory of pain.  The tear-soaked euphoria.  On Friday, Natalie shared a brave and poignant story about her experience after the birth of her twins.  As I commented to her, I think her post should be required reading for all expectant and new mothers.

5. I discovered Goldfish through her thoughtful comments at Momalom.  I visited her blog to find her struggling against an unseen enemy, one that she elucidates clearly and powerfully in her posts.  As much as I have been affected by her stories, one of my favorite posts this week was a much more lighthearted one.  No one familiar with Eric Carle - and no one who is still regretting Thursday's overindulgence - should miss her ode to her son and his impressive eating habits.

6. As always - or, as I did last week, at least - I leave you with something from the world of pop culture.  I admitted earlier this week that I am no fashion plate.  But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate true style when I see it.  And one of my current fashion favorites is First Lady Michelle Obama, or, as she is affectionately known in certain circles, Shelley O.  Mary Tomer has created Mrs. O, a blog devoted to Shelley O's wardrobe.  Don't miss photos of Michelle dazzling the crowd at the Obamas' first state dinner.  Is designer clothing an important thing to think about in tough economic times?  Nope.  Is it a fun thing to think about?  I think so.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Kristen for featuring me here! I am honored to be in the amazing company of the other talented writers you selected. So happy to have "connected" with you here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much... "flattered" is an understatement. I'm on single-mom duty for the rest of the day, but now have something to pull me through until tonight. Because after all the little boys are in bed I will be curling up with my computer and indulging in every one of your recommendations. Again: thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the sweet shout out! I'm so glad to have found you, and I can't wait to connect with some of your suggested blogs/bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited to read your picks tonight after the kids go to bed :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read most of those you suggested and was inspired through their words. This Thanksgiving week has been full of pleasure-filling word delights. Including yours : ).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these picks. And it's been SO much fun, and informative, reading the wonderful stories and tid bits from these terrific women and writers. Great to pull them together on a page, so we can appreciate them all over again, and discover a few new ones - like Shelly O!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a great time reading your picks, Kristen, and trust your recommendations implicitly. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for including me in this lovely list of picks.

    SO much reading, so little time, huh? And it's soooo good :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you! I often reply to comments via e-mail so please make sure your e-mail address is set to "public" on your profile.