Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Fifth Thing We Don't Know About You




Image: Home Sweet Home by John Fekner via Wikimedia Commons under a Creative Commons License.

Before I went to college, I had lived in the same house all my life.  And, before I moved to the Midwest in the summer of 2007, I had never lived more than two hours away from that house.  In fact, both the apartment in Manhattan where I lived after college and the boarding school in suburban Boston where I taught and lived for five years were exactly 105 miles away from my childhood home.

I have written before about home, where to find it, and how to create it.  Having had such a rooted experience of home as a child has made it perhaps more challenging to feel at home in a new place as an adult.

Have you led a nomadic or a rooted existence - or both?

5 comments:

  1. We were pretty nomadic when I was growing up (though in the same state, but different towns... still what I consider nomadic!) and my parents are the same way now. I'm trying very hard to not be as my kids grow up, but sometimes I get the itch to move a little too frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the comfort of staying close to "home". As much as sometimes I'd love a change, I can't imagine moving much. I hope to let my kids feel they have their roots planted somewhere and find comfort in that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was actually nomadic for many years as a young adult. I moved wherever jobs took me, including to Europe. Perhaps why as I get older, "home" feels more important. And not feeling at home, strangely, more uncomfortable. I often have dreams of being homeless. Have, for years. I think they are symbolic of a state of mind, and also, of very real fear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We moved around quite a bit when I was little, but when we moved to Colorado, I stayed no more than an hour away from my childhood home. Which is still true today. I love that kind of stability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though I often dream of moving into some McMansion, I've lived in this house for nearly 17 years and, pathetically, it's a mile from my mother's house where I lived till I went to college! I guess the move to Arizona from Chicago was too much for me, or maybe my umbilical cord just doesn't stretch that far.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you! I often reply to comments via e-mail so please make sure your e-mail address is set to "public" on your profile.