Monday, December 21, 2009

A Fourth Thing We Don't Know About You


I have a heart-shaped uterus.  A septum divides the two sides of my womb.  This so-called "Mullerian anomaly" is a birth defect that affects less than 1% of the female population.  I had no idea it "affected" me until I had some complications early in my pregnancy with Big Boy.  Having a bicornuate uterus is associated with difficulty getting and remaining pregnant because an embryo (or is it a zygote?  I was never very good at biology...) must implant itself in the larger part of the womb in order to have sufficient space and blood flow to grow.  Because of their cramped quarters, both Big Boy and Tiny Baby were very decidedly breech and I was at risk of preterm labor.  As a result, I spent many weeks of both pregnancies on bed rest (which now sounds heavenly) and delivered both boys early and via c-section.

Despite the drama it has caused for this mama, there's some poetry, I think, to having grown my babies in a space shaped like a heart.

Did your pregnancy and delivery go the way you had planned?  Did your partner's or mother's?

5 comments:

  1. As difficult this condition must have been with fertility... what a beautiful thing! Your kids are definitely filled with love. And what an amazing picture!

    And you're funny to link to me... this drama filled mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique, and quite fitting for a mother, thing to have! I had no idea that even existed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely. I was also on bedrest at the end of both pregnancies. I was little, they were big, each pregnancy caused some complications, but all worth it. Nothing quite so poetic as that heart - fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although it caused you hardship, it's actually quite exquisite to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was single I thought I was kind of a womb with legs, like there'd be no problems, but there were a lot. Miscarriages, infertility, preeclampsia, and prematurity - son was 1 1/2 pounds at birth - and then miscarriages, infertility and bed rest for my daughter. And then came raising them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you! I often reply to comments via e-mail so please make sure your e-mail address is set to "public" on your profile.