Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Birthday to Me



I turn 33 today.  And that is troubling.  Troubling not because I am concerned about getting older.  It is troubling because today I turn from Magic Johnson into Larry Bird.  Sigh.

---

Having a birthday on Christmas Eve was a mixed blessing growing up.

On the one hand it meant that I could never have a proper party with my friends on the day itself (bear in mind that I went to Catholic school through eighth grade) and was subjected to such indignities as birthday presents wrapped in Christmas paper and cards with such clever sayings as "Merry Birthday to You!"

On the other it meant an explosion of presents starting the morning of my birthday and, just when I was starting to come down from my birthday high, bam!  It was Christmas!  It was almost too fabulous to believe.  I also was very lucky to have parents - especially a mother - who went out of their way to make my birthday extra special given its proximity to our family's favorite holiday.

---

Kelly Diels wrote recently about a vacation in Las Vegas:
once I had two babies less than two. when I gave myself permission to fantasize, my fantasy was this: to check into a hotel with a great bed and soft sheets and cable – oh cable – and sleep for eight hours, uninterrupted. mmmmmmmmmm.

and this vacation echoes and underlines the reality of that fantasy. the most essential luxury in my life - besides love – is to sleep until I wake. unprompted. rested.
I can no longer claim to have two babies less than two.  I do, however, have two less than two-and-a-half.  And I hope that qualifies me to borrow Kelly's fantasy:

To sleep.  Perchance to dream.  "To sleep until I wake."

Wouldn't that be nice?

Wouldn't that be a Merry Birthday indeed?

11 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine how wonderfully amazing that would be. Ahhhh...(that's me dreaming).

    Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you!

    I hope this day brings you all that you could dream of. You deserve a special day and year (and some days of sleeping until you wake, of course.)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Happy Birthday! (You're young, young, young!!) And I for one actually got to see Larry Bird and Magic Johnson (and other 80s great) play at the old Boston Garden (you were still a kid then!) - 33 is a great number, and have a delightful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Sweetie! I'm cackling like a loon over here--Larry Bird!! What a gawky lookin' thing he is, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to have found your blog after reading some comments on Motherlode. (Smart move.) I, too, have become a stay-at-home mom after teaching English both at the high school and college levels. My daughter is 6 weeks (my son is 2 1/2) and I was hoping to blog a little more now that I'm home, but right now, I can't imagine finding the time! I'll enjoy checking in on your blog when I'm looking for some camaraderie. My former blog which I rarely, if ever, update now is about books, though I've been hoping to start a new one with similar ambitions to your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that was one of the best parts of my trip to Savannah...to sleep until I woke up. And then, to lay there in bed for a little while longer...(DEEP sigh). Merry Christmas! And from one whose birthday is exactly one week before Christmas...I understand the pros and cons of sharing a bday with Jesus! =) I had a rule with my friends growing up: you had to give me two presents, even if they were cheap. It wasn't fair that I got a birthday/Christmas gift. If I'd been born in June, you would've had to buy me one, right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dare to dream! Happy birthday once again :) I am currently hiding in Little S's room with a glass of wine wishing I could fall asleep here and now...
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Kristen!
    That is a tough break, being Larry Bird! Maybe there's a different sport with a more appealing 33. Or you can look ahead to 34? (ha ha) I'm trying to have sympathy for this aging dilemma even though you're way younger than me... Okay, it didn't work. But I stand firmly behind the idea that you really, really deserve a wonderful, separately celebrated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband would love your basketball references ;)
    Happy Birthday!!! I hope you're having a fabulous birthday today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry I am late! Happy Birthday!!! You can come to my house and sleep. I will tell the teenagers to be quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do hope you had a wonderful birthday! Merry belated birthday, anyway! I'm so glad I've found you AND your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you slept. And slept some more. And dreamed of sleeping. And napped, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you! I often reply to comments via e-mail so please make sure your e-mail address is set to "public" on your profile.