Saturday, December 12, 2009

Six Quick Picks, Vol. IV


Today I present, in no particular order, the fourth installment of "Six Quick Picks," a smattering of items on the Interwebs that caught my eye this week:

1. Surely many of you are already familiar with Alice Bradley and Finslippy.  This week Alice offered an exquisite post about her decision not to try to get pregnant again after having had a miscarriage.  In "Only," she writes about the reactions of others, most notably her son Henry, when presented with her choice.  Her words have stayed with me all week: "Henry is not an only, I want to say. Henry is enough."


2. I wish I could remember how I stumbled upon Delia Lloyd and RealDelia.  But whatever the impetus behind my first visit, I continue to check in regularly for a serving of Delia's wisdom about parenthood, womanhood, and writing.  This week, one of her posts, "Five Ways to Feel More Legitimate As A Writer" spoke directly to my own struggles of self-definition as I play with words and play with the idea of working with words.  Whether you write for fun, for money, or for both, you will gain perspective from her sage advice.

3. There are certain blogs I read because the author's toughness, resilience, and sheer force of will force me to reflect on the hierarchy of challenges in this world - an ordering in which my own tendencies toward melancholy do not rank particularly high.  Beth Mancuso at Manic Mother falls squarely into that category of bloggers.  This week Beth waxed philosophical about the medical, financial, and existential crises that 2009 brought to her family in a post entitled, "2009, and Monkeys in Our Bed."  Please visit Beth to learn about her trials and her indomitable spirit.

4. Some of my favorite bloggers have been taking part in Gwen Bell's Best of 2009 Blog Challenge.  I've enjoyed their posts so much that I decided to visit Gwen to check out her responses to her own prompts.  What I found on Tuesday was a post that took my breath away with its graceful, simple truth.  In her "Less Than 100 Ways to Relax this Holiday Season," Gwen cautions us against waiting for that perfect moment to find our joy: "It's okay. Work with what you have right now. This really is it. Right now, at the mall, with your shopping in your hands and three kids fighting and on the way home, driving behind the too-slow car.  This is it, open loops and all. Pay attention."  Click over to Gwen's site for your own breath of fresh air.

5. I sent you over to the Witch's Kitchen a couple of weeks ago.  If you clicked over then, but somehow forgot to bookmark her site and return daily, you missed out this week on a post that will make you want to either slap or hug all of the girls and women in your life.  Go now and read "F-Bomb Alert: Skeletor Issues," her reflection on the treacherous relationship between women and eating.

6. And now to end on a light note: Last year at this time, I frequently found myself gyrating - elegantly, I'm sure - around my kitchen doing my best to imitate Beyonce's signature moves in her seemingly ubiquitous "Single Ladies" video.  (Quite a vision, I assure you, since I was rather pregnant at the time.)  I never watched MTV or VH1 and yet could not seem to escape the reach of that rather catchy video.  So I had to laugh out loud earlier this week when I happened upon a very clever spoof of said video by Leigh at Marvelous Kiddo.  If you're looking to start off your weekend with a smile, click on over and take a look at her "Baby Mamas (Put a Sling on 'Em)."

Happy reading!  Happy weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the nutritious Saturday morning spread. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hun, such beautiful praise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to check some of these out. Especially real delia since I have found this new passion for writing! Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you! I often reply to comments via e-mail so please make sure your e-mail address is set to "public" on your profile.