Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Tenth Thing We Don't Know About You


At my last teaching job, I was also the coach of the varsity girls' basketball team.  I hated every minute of it.  I hated the time it took away from my teaching and from Husband.  I hated the unreasonable expectations placed on me and my players by their parents.  But most of all I hated the fact that I was really bad at it. 

Coaching basketball at that level was the only thing I have ever done professionally that I was really, truly bad at.  And, because of that experience, I have vowed never to do another job that I am not qualified for - no matter who asks me to, no matter if refusing to do so makes me look like something other than a team player.

Have you ever had to do a job that you were bad at?

6 comments:

  1. I've worked jobs that I hated, that I was ok at. I wasn't truly bad at it, but I wasn't good at the politics, and thus, I was miserable all the time, and I never felt like I was good at the job. I was adequate.

    Adequate has never felt good.

    But I'd take adequate over unemployment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Business. Not my cup of tea. That and the fact I had to work for some lying, cheating, racist idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sucked at waiting tables...mainly because I had a hard time being nice to people who were assholes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was not good at selling shoes. I tried for one summer... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I taught English 101 at a community college for one semester after getting my master's and that was enough for me. I think - maybe - I'd be good at teaching Literature or Writing but teaching Compare/Contrast, the Argumentative essay, etc., and trying to teach grammar to kids who really didn't know it, that wasn't a good fit for me. I wanted to change their lives through writing and literature; they just wanted their English requirement and to get the heck out of school. It was disheartening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really bad selling roses in nightclubs because I hate bar skanks. Those are the kind of girls who bitchily implore their dates to buy $8 half-dead roses and I would usually make fun of them. Got more than a few drinks tossed my way!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you! I often reply to comments via e-mail so please make sure your e-mail address is set to "public" on your profile.