Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Rainbow Connection: Do You Believe in Signs?


Dear M and S,

After your shower on Saturday, thoughts of you mixed with the forced air of the heater to warm me on my drive home.  About an hour after I left you, a squall filled the air with snow; the flakes danced horizontally, then vertically, seeming to grow up from the highway.  And then, as quickly as it came, the snow was gone.  In its place, a rainbow.  A winter rainbow.

The last time I saw a winter rainbow was December 31, 2003, the day before my wedding.  It was a good sign, I thought.  A symbol of hope, of the promise of hue among the grays.

And it was a good sign on Saturday, too, I think.  To be filled with thoughts of two parents-to-be, to be meditating on their commitment to each other and on the sunshine that will warm their home - and then to witness real sunlight breaking through the blizzard, leaving a perfect spectrum in its wake.  To feel as though energy and grace and light and magic were radiating out of the cosmos through me and into you.

I'm not sure if I believe in signs.  But I believe in you.

I believe in the love that will surround your child.  In the affection that you have for each other that will grow and change when you meet him.  I believe in the web of your strength that will be a safety net for her.  I believe in the flexibility and patience honed through your practice that will be a balm for him.  I believe in the wisdom and humor that you will weave into stories for her.

I believe that you are ready.

And I believe in rainbows.  In rainbow connections.

Who said that every wish
Would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that,
And someone believed it,
And look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing
That keeps us star gazing?
And what do we think we might see?

Someday we'll find it:
That Rainbow Connection
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Have you been half asleep?
And have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that called
The young sailors?
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
It's something that I'm supposed to be.

Someday we'll find it:
The Rainbow Connection
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Namaste,
Kristen

Do you believe in signs?

And, since you're here, why don't you go ahead and give some words of encouragement to my favorite cousin and her wonderful husband who are expecting the arrival of their first child in three weeks?

Image: Sateenkaari osa kaarta by Mp via Wikimedia Commons under a Creative Commons license.

12 comments:

  1. I am certainly more superstitious than before kids... so I believe in good signs only. Of course your cousin will be delighted with her new arrival! (Surely the rainbow is one of the most magical of signs.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe in signs. This sign is a beautiful one.

    To Kristen's cousin and your husband - May your labor be short and productive. May your baby be beautiful and healthy - just like the rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beutiful post! I really enjoyed this. Never found a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, but it sure gives me a wonderful feeling everytime I see one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm....this question makes me feel pensive. I wish I did believe in signs. I feel things like the miracle of a winter rainbow very powerfully, and it always affects my writing. But I don't think I've ever really believed its a sign.

    The great beauty of this world does have an even more powerful effect on me since I had the twins. To your Cuz and Hub, this next step in your lives is going to be filled with magic, crazy difficult and beyond your wildest dreams of what it means to feel love and hope. Enjoy it. Embrace it! Breathe. And find a community of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that song - and thanks for putting it in my head today as I'll be humming it for the rest of the afternoon! I believe in signs - but signs are what YOU make of them. They're personal, and they can only touch you if you believe in them and give them that power. Congrats to your cousin/family! Wishing them all the joy and love creating a family can hold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratualtions to your cousin and her husband! They are in for the best time of their lives. Boy? Girl? One of each?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I believe in signs. Is it weird that I don't know for sure? Perhaps. More important than my plethora of existential certainties though... A big congrats to the soon-to-be parents. Parenthood is exquisitely tough work, but there are plenty of rainbows ahead. Plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was beautiful :)
    Congratulations to your cousin and her husband! Being parents is the hardest, but most wonderful thing you will ever do :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely believe in signs. In fact, on a near-daily basis I can be heard saying, "The universe is speaking to us if only we stopped to listen."

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely lovely. I've always loved that song.
    And I DO believe in signs. How can we not?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I think you already know my thoughts on this subject. : )

    Tell your cousin that she is about to embark on the hardest, most amazing, experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely and heartfelt post! I don't know if I believe in signs. I think I do; something happened this summer which honestly, I couldn't explain and it came at the exact time I needed it. So yes, I think so.

    To Motherese's cousin: What a journey for you! You are going to amaze yourself. You are going to find out that you are stronger than you know. That just when you think you can't love any more, you can. That life can be both chaotic and beautiful. You will learn so much. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you! I often reply to comments via e-mail so please make sure your e-mail address is set to "public" on your profile.